Monday, August 01, 2005

Muscatine Youth Reactions

It is another hot day here in Kosovo. Someone said yesterday the mercury jumped past 105 degrees. I have no idea if that’s true but I wouldn’t be surprised. Last night, the weatherman on CNN International said this region is in the middle of major heat wave (hottest here in 30 years). There is some hope it will cool off later this week.

Today the American and Kosovar participants divided into two groups. One, including Pete Korpi and Mike Hartman, returned to Slovene Village for more medical exams, singing and crafts. Doreen Borde and Janet Barry helped the Slovene children make tie-dye t-shirts while Cynthia Smith helped with a bracelet making class.

The second group (including myself) headed for a school in Dujake, a small village near Gjakove. There Ric Smith and Lori Carroll conducted singing classes while Jon Fasenelli-Cawelti held a short art class and Neva Baker and Karen Morgan taught some basic English. (See photos below)

Muscatine Youth Reactions
The youth participants on this trip are staying with host families scattered across Gjakove. When they are not busy rehearsing with their Kosovar counterparts, they are so busy having a good time with their hosts that it is difficult for them to find time to put their impressions of the trip on paper. This morning during a break at the Dujake Village school, we were able to gather a few reactions. I’ve transcribed their reactions below.

"The city of Gjakove, Kosovo is very fun. They have a lot of things to do. We swam in the river and had a clay fight. There are carnival rides and lots of stores. By looking at the city do you think they were in a war? Wow, it doesn’t look like it. It is a very unique place." (Ben Rivera)

"I think it is beautiful. The people are nice. They have good food and drinks. They are crazy drivers! Other than that it is perfect, except for the cats and the cat fights because they are wild." (Diana Baker)

"The trip so far has been great. I am very impressed with Kosovo." (Sam Baker)

"I think this trip was a very good thing for everyone. The people here teach us how to act and how to live our lives. Everyone is so nice and they can walk on the streets after dark without a problem. They are everything we want our country to be." (Halie Gray)

"We’ve had a lot of fun in Gjakove. We’ve been swimming in two rivers. It’s like a big family reunion. It’s nothing like I thought. There are stores everywhere and the food shops are all fun." (Joe Porter)

"After a week into the trip I am very tired, and I’m glad I’m here. Spending time with my friends in Kosovo is just like spending time with my friends in America. We’re all just kids. I’ve picked up a lot of Albanian (the local language) and they’ve picked up a lot of English. I hope the rest of the trip is just as fun." (Tom Porter)

"Kosovo is such a beautiful country. The mountains are beautiful, the town is beautiful and the people are beautiful. I have become a lot closer to everyone around me. The people can make you smile no matter what you are doing. I am so thankful to be here." (Katie Korpi)

"I like it here. It’s laid back. It’s scenic and comfortable. You wonder how the people here can live with so little and still be some of the happiest people you will ever meet. At night people will walk up to you on the street and start talking to you in broken English not seeming to notice that it’s 11 o’clock at night. We were standing in the middle of a dusty alley-way; definitely not first on my list of choices to hold a conversation in a strange country. Overall Kosovo is nothing what I thought it would be and certainly is more than I expected." (Nick Korpi)