Monday, August 01, 2005

Slovene Village Reactions by Kate Johnson

The camp was definitely not what I was expecting. I guess I didn't know what to expect. The conditions were not as horrible as I was expecting, but I couldn't help but wonder why they had to be as bad as they were. Why was there trash on the ground when there were dumpsters available? Why were the bathrooms not maintained like Liz said they had been in years past? It made me sad to see that the camp was becoming worse. How can one be hopeful in a place that is falling apart?

When we arrived, at the small camp, a few children poked their heads around corners. As soon as they recognized the vans, they ran out to meet us. I was especially amazed at the way they greeted Burim with a cheer, chanting "Burim's here! Burim's here!" The work that the Shropshire volunteers do in the camp is so important to the kids, I could tell. They clung to the volunteers, giving hugs liberally and asking hushed questions as they stared wide-eyed at the Americans. The kids definitely noticed our presence at first. One little girl offered me a shy smile. I asked if I could take her picture and told her my name. When we played games later, she took my hand. It made my day to make another smile. I just wished I could have done more. Then I realized that sometimes all you can do is bring joy to another. That is what the Shropshire Music Foundation is all about; breaking down barriers, giving the children a chance at the joy of music, giving the children a chance at hope.