Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Muscatine Youth Reactions - Part Two

On Tuesday, I was able to gather written comments from the Muscatine youth that didn’t get a chance to write during the trip to the Dujake Village school. I have transcribed their comments below. I must tell you that I have been moved to tears several times as I have typed these notes over the past few days. This trip has been life-changing for our youth participants and their comments clearly reflect that.

"Everything is so beautiful. We went to a river by the mountains and it was beautiful. Besides the heat we are having so much fun." (Hanna Porter)

"Everyone is so nice in Kosovo. I thought that the people would be sad but they’re like the happiest people on earth." (Leigha Phillips)

"I am having so much fun! These kids are so happy all of the time. I wish every place would be this happy. They have so much energy." (Taylor Borde)

"At first we were really upset when we saw the conditions the people were living in (at Slovene Village.) But when we saw the little children in music classes they have the biggest smiles we had ever seen. Then we understood; they didn’t care that they had to live there. They had a roof over their heads and they were just happy to be alive." (Michaella Calzaretta and Emma Smith)

"The camp was definitely not what I was expecting. I guess I didn't know what to expect. The conditions were not as horrible as I was expecting, but I couldn't help but wonder why they had to be as bad as they were. Why was there trash on the ground when there were dumpsters available? Why were the bathrooms not maintained like Liz said they had been in years past? It made me sad to see that the camp was becoming worse. How can one be hopeful in a place that is falling apart?

When we arrived, at the small camp, a few children poked their heads around corners. As soon as they recognized the vans, they ran out to meet us. I was especially amazed at the way they greeted Burim with a cheer, chanting "Burim's here! Burim's here!" The work that the Shropshire volunteers do in the camp is so important to the kids, I could tell. They clung to the volunteers, giving hugs liberally and asking hushed questions as they stared wide-eyed at the Americans. The kids definitely noticed our presence at first. One little girl offered me a shy smile. I asked if I could take her picture and told her my name. When we played games later, she took my hand. It made my day to make another smile. I just wished I could have done more. Then I realized that sometimes all you can do is bring joy to another. That is what the Shropshire Music Foundation is all about; breaking down barriers, giving the children a chance at the joy of music, giving the children a chance at hope." (Kate Johnson)

"I’ve been helping with the medical screenings here. I had been somewhat prepared for medical work from the information I had received from my father, Dr. Wettach, but nothing could fully prepare me for assisting with the medical screenings in the camps. These poor, yet alive people, are so desperate and needing of help. Considering the hard lives of the people in the camps, this is understandable. Though we strive to help these people sometimes there are set-backs; we may not have the right type of medicine or not enough. But even through these minor set-backs there are great successes; a child with bad allergies getting weeks of medication, or a dehydrated baby receiving enough electrolyte fluid to last her at least until she can be brought to the hospital.

Though these successes may seem minor to many privileged Americans, the look of thanks and happiness on that mother’s or child’s face is enough to make it a wonderful and beautiful success. This in turn, it makes what we are doing here in Kosovo such a wonderful and beautiful experience for me." (Taylor Wettach)