Friday, August 05, 2005

Observations by Pete Korpi - August 5th

From my perspective everything went marvelously - not perfectly mind you, because I always manage to forget something, and there's always the feeling that maybe I could have done just a little bit more, but all things considered I am pleased. As far as the cold statistics go, we managed to check about 290 people, and handed out well over 100 pairs of glasses, as well as eye medications where needed. We ran short of some prescriptions, had plenty of others, but that has always been sort of a "shooting in the dark" proposition when we're preparing glasses. The most heart warming cases are the kids who have need for incredibly strong prescriptions - like can't see more than 3 inches in front of them- type prescriptions. Today we had such a child who needed a super strong prescription, and we only had a pair that was 1/3 of what he needed, but his face just lit up when he put it on. Then he comes and gives me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I just about came apart from the emotion of that moment, and in that one instant I've received all the thanks I could ever need for this week and months to come. Think I'll consider doing something like this again? It is an absolute certainty.